Petro-Canada CALFLO AF is recommended for use in liquid phase heat transfer systems operating continuously at bulk temperatures up to 316°C (600°F). CALFLO AF’s outstanding resistance to oxidative breakdown can result in longer fluid life and lower operating costs in systems where exposure to air can not be avoided, and oxidation is the most likely form of fluid degradation.
Petro-Canada CALFLO AF is a highly efficient heat transfer fluid formulated to lower operating costs in systems where fluid resistance to oxidative breakdown is critical. CALFLO AF’s unique chemistry starts with a blend of 99.9% pure base fluids, produced using a patented HT purity process. These crystal clear fluids are free of impurities that can hinder performance. Utilizing more than 25 years of formulating experience, Petro-Canada fortifies these thermally stable fluids with specially selected additives to provide stronger resistance to oxidative breakdown than leading competitive fluids. The result is CALFLO AF, a heat transfer fluid that provides high thermal efficiency in systems operating up to 316°C (600°F). CALFLO AF’s breakthrough chemistry can extend fluid life longer than leading competitive fluids, lowering operating costs by reducing the frequency of fluid change-outs.
Features and Benefits
1. Better oxidative resistance than leading competitors can extend fluid life and lower operating costs.
• Higher resistance to oxidative breakdown versus leading competitive fluids.
As a fluid oxidizes, it becomes more viscous. This increase in viscosity can:
– significantly reduce a fluid’s thermal efficiency
– make the fluid more difficult to circulate through the heat transfer system
– result in overheating of the fluid
– necessitate a costly, premature fluid change-out
• Less prone to carbon residue and sludge formation versus leading competitive fluids.
CALFLO AF’s resistance to oxidative breakdown also minimizes the formation of carbonaceous deposits and sludge within heat transfer systems. These deposits can dramatically reduce heat transfer efficiency and increase operating costs.
2. Low vapour pressure can save on top-up costs while improving workplace safety.
• CALFLO AF’s low vapour pressure can reduce or eliminate fluid leakage from control valves and pipe flanges.
• Reduction or elimination of leaks provides a cleaner and safer operating environment, and results in operational savings by reducing the need for cleaning, maintenance and fluid top-up.
3. Natural lubricity extends operational savings.
• CALFLO AF’s natural lubricating properties can also reduce maintenance costs by extending the service life of circulating pumps and other rotating parts.
4. No compromise to environmental and workplace health and safety.
• Unlike some alternative fluid chemistries, CALFLO AF is non-hazardous, virtually odourless and is not considered a toxic substance according to OSHA (United States) and WHMIS (Canadian) criteria.
• Because CALFLO AF produces no objectionable odours and is not a respiratory or skin irritant, workplace conditions remain pleasant and safe for continuous operations.
• CALFLO AF does NOT require special handling and is NOT considered a ‘hazardous substance’ under OSHA (United States) or a “controlled product” under WHMIS (Canadian) regulations.
• Shipments and storage of CALFO AF do not normally require special safety permits.
• Further, drums used to transport CALFLO AF are readily accepted by drum re-conditioners.
Petro-Canada CALFLO AF is recommended for use in liquid phase heat transfer systems operating continuously at bulk temperatures up to 316°C (600°F). CALFLO AF’s outstanding resistance to oxidative breakdown can result in longer fluid life and lower operating costs in systems where exposure to air can not be avoided, and oxidation is the most likely form of fluid degradation. Typical applications include temperature control units used in plastic extrusion, plastic moulding, and metal die-casting operations.
CALFLO AF’s high thermal stability provides long service life under normal operating conditions up to its maximum recommended temperature. However, actual fluid life is dependent upon system design and operating practice. Special precautions should be taken to avoid operating conditions that can shorten fluid life. These include:
• thermal shocking resulting from accelerated system temperature increases
• thermal shocking from hot spots on a system’s heating coils
• continuously running above the maximum recommended operating temperature
Although CALFLO AF is highly resistant to oxidative breakdown, excessive air and water contamination can reduce thermal efficiency and shorten fluid life. Where practical, Petro-Canada recommends inert gas blanketing of a system’s expansion tank to guard against exposure to air and water and the need to change-out the fluid prematurely. While CALFLO AF has been formulated to resist breakdown when exposed to air and water, contamination with process chemicals or deteriorated residual fluids can shorten fluid life. To maximize system efficiency and fluid life, Petro-Canada highly recommends system cleaning and flushing to remove all contaminants, sludge and varnish prior to recharging a system with CALFLO AF.
Typical Performance Data
|See also different:|| |